Yes. Slovenia is a treaty to Madrid Protocol and Madrid Agreement.
Registration of trademark is mandatory in order for the owners to establish rights.
No. Trademark owners are not required to file a periodic statement of use.
The opposition period will officially start on the publication date and will end three months after that date.
Only the owners of a registered mark in Slovenia can obtain these rights:
- Exclusive right to use the mark
- Right to initiate an opposition case against parties applying for a conflicting mark
- Right to appeal for the cancellation of conflicting registrations filed at a later date
- Right to sue third parties for infringing the registered mark
- Right to accept payment from third parties for infringement
- Right to license/authorize third parties to use the mark
- Right to demand from the customs authorities the seizure of counterfeit imported goods
Yes. Registered marks are possible to cancel on the grounds of:
- Unsatisfied requirements under Section VIII.A.
- Bad faith
- Mark is banned in Slovenia
- Inclusion of a protected emblem or badge
- Contradiction with moral principles or public policy
- Inclusion of a geographical indication
- Generic mark
- Inclusion of a protected armorial bearing, state emblem or flag
- Proprietary rights
- Non-distinctive mark
- Descriptive mark
- Misleading/deceptive/ disparaging mark
The following people can contest the registration:
- Owners of an earlier conflicting right
- Owners of a conflicting mark that was registered earlier
- Owners of earlier rights to a personal name, industrial property, variety of plant, geographical indication, or copyright
- Owners of a mark that was registered in WTO or Paris Union that was applied for by an agent or representative without the proprietor’s permission
Applications can be opposed on any of these grounds:
- Proprietary rights
- Unauthorized use of national insignia and / or state emblem
- Company name rights
- Personal name rights
- Registered design rights
- Registration under a different name such as name of agent or other representatives
- Notorious mark rights
- Breach of copyright
- Misleading/disparaging/deceptive mark
No. Applicants can apply for registration even if they have not used the mark yet.
Slovenia’s trademark office is available online via this URL address: www.uil-sipo.si